Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Darkness at Noon

It could not have been a less auspicious beginning. My first post on my brand new blog was rudely interrupted by one of a series of power cuts in the Cape Town area yesterday, the third successive day of what the utility operator fancifully calls "rolling blackouts". So instead of launching into my carefully composed manifesto, I trudged cursing up the stairs, candle held aloft. And so to bed.

The cuts, better described as random crashes of the system, have apparently been caused by a generator failure at the geriatric nuclear reactor which provides a significant amount of the city's power. They would be more accurately described as random collapses of the system. Or else someone is sticking a pin in the map blindfolded. An excuse early on was "damp soot from bush fires on transmission lines". At least it wasn't leaves on the line or the wrong kind of snow. Didn't they lie about Chernobyl at first?

However, the so-called manager of public lighting, no doubt keen to avert the possibility of being hanged from one of his own streetlights, has given one firm promise to this rugby-crazed city -- there will be power at Newlands Stadium on Friday night for the "Super 14 " game between the local Stormers and the visiting Brumbies. Praise the lord! "I may be stupid, but I'm not that stupid," he declared. I rest my case.

Thus this goodly frame is born under a foul and pestilential cloud and I have indeed, for the moment, lost all my mirth. Sorry about that.

So no manifesto except to say this is my baby, it is for my own amusement first of all and, I devoutly hope, the delectation of my bloggy friends. And to any visitors who might be googled into my clutches, come in, pull up a chair and feel free to spout off. To wandering trolls: don't even think about it.

Topics will be whatever my dilettante wafting may alight upon, but will certainly include the odd poem (mine, mostly), photograph (likewise), music bulletin, rant, encounter with idiots, pseuds and posers and more. Anything to keep it going.

Big ups to midwives and cheerleaders Pashmina of
Grammar Puss and Patroclus of Quinquireme, and to the eminent Norm Geras, he of Normblog, who first sowed the seed. And to the little circle of blog friends who have endured my incessant and often facetious comments. Welcome to my twilight zone.

FADE TO BLACK

12 Comments:

Blogger patroclus said...

Hurrah, inaugural comment to me!

Congratulations on the new arrival. And long may it endure.

Although "endure" perhaps isn't the most encouraging word :-)

6:50 pm  
Blogger cello said...

I think 'long may it thrive' was what Pat meant to say. I'm so pleaseed to hear you're even welcoming pseuds and posers. I'll be back, but congratulations in the meantime - and mind that cloud.

7:26 pm  
Blogger patroclus said...

Thrive. That's the one. It's a good thing I'm not a professional writer, eh?

7:48 pm  
Blogger Wyndham said...

More hurrahs for Dave F. Now I can pop over to your place and bend your ear about stuff. Two sugars, please.

8:07 pm  
Blogger Spinsterella said...

hello!

Welcome to a slightly less anonymous world.

8:26 pm  
Blogger GreatSheElephant said...

hooray. A small word from the elderly though - larger font size please? Ugly please?

8:39 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

Thank you all. I'm quite overwhelmed. Couldn't have done it without you lot (sniff, blow). What with power cuts and rank ignorance, it took me hours to find my own post -- and the comments. More to come, more interesting too. Are comments open or confined to me blog mates? I can't figure it out.

8:42 pm  
Blogger surly girl said...

hello! and welcome. you'll never leave......

11:10 pm  
Blogger patroclus said...

They're open, but that means you'll probably get comment spam, so I recommend you turn on the word verification.

11:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave! You did it! Huzzah!
Enough exclamation marks already. Apologies for being a latecomer, have been offline for a bit. But delighted to see the Congregation (good name) up and running. Or open for business. Or whatever blogs are these days.

11:41 pm  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

is this where we come to carp about cadences?

heh

welcome to blogworld!

(this template reminds me of the temple of heaven in beijing)

12:37 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

Ta Mrs Chick. I am rather taken with the template, I must say. It doesn't seem to be designed for links, so I'm scratching my head over that one.

4:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home