Monday, April 24, 2006

Completely Lost

Some unaswered questions – and a few speculative answers -- about Lost , with NO spoilers for Brit viewers:

1. What is the point of Hurley, the fat dude, apart from his "numbers"? He stands around looking uneasy most of the time, perhaps in case someone asks him where he has hidden all the Mars bars) and has never uttered one word that isn't a cliche. And how is he managing to keep the pounds on? Maybe he's some kind of demographic, since, as we all know, gargantuan obesity is now fairly common among young Americans.

2. Why, after all this time, are everyone's clothes still looking pretty crisp and clean? And where are the clean-shaven guys getting their razor blades? In fact Jack takes the trouble to maintain his designer stubble, an awesome contribution to style in adversity.

3. There are polar bears, but why are there no birds? It's a jungle, for crying out loud. Has anyone ever heard birdsong on the sound track?

4. Pretty well everyone has had a flashback, but why are some people getting lots of repeats while others appear to have been abandoned midplot? I surmise the writers have simply given up trying to follow the huge number of personal plot lines.

5. Is the island supposed to be a real place in the actual, you know, world? I mean, mysterious unseen monsters, apparitions, polar bears (again), the miraculous healing of John, who thinks the island is telling him stuff. I still reckon it is a kind of purgatory where all the survivors must atone for their sins (and we know from the flashbacks that they are all sinners).

6. Anyone have any theories -- or more questions?

For those who haven't cheated by checking
Television Without Pity (shame on you), I can assure you that things just get weirder and more mysterious in season 2. There are questions I have refrained from asking because they're spoilers. Such noble self-restraint.

Creepy update: In the evil terror mastermind al-Zarqawi's video he looks the dead spit of Sayeed from Lost. Could Naveen Andrews be moonlighting?

5 Comments:

Blogger Wyndham said...

It's very fashionable over here to knock Lost. People who will quite happily spend an hour of their life watching Desperate Housewife have the temerity to complain that Lost is over-rated and slow and there are only questions, not answers. I love it and will give it three series - then I bloody better have some answers.

I go with some kind of nano-technology experiment myself, as indicated by the way the monster changes shape. I think the producers have nixed the purgatory idea already, which is just as well because it's the oldest sci-fi/fantasy plot in the world!

9:31 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

folks are saying the same thing about it over here. in fact you cannot escape the plot speculations...you even hear it on the fricken news, for heavens sake!
once i found myself planning my days around 'NYPD Blue' i stopped watching fiction television for the most part. if there isn't an autopsy going on, a battle re-enactment, experiments involving flammable materials or history, then never mind.
NYBD Blue was an awesome, awesome show, though. Dennis Franz is GOD and the writing was pure gold.

5:01 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

Wyndham, I don't know if you have been seeing Season 2 on DVDs or something. I agree the purgatory idea may be a bit dogeared, but the nanotech one is a non-starter unless these dudes had nanotech in the 1970s (remember the Frenchwoman has been there for a long time). If it's a hard science idea then I'd guess something to do with electromagnetism. There are clues in the latest episodes I have seen.

FN, you're well out of it. I find it highly addictive.

8:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a real love/hate thing going with Lost. On the one hand it drives me completely nuts, on the other I must know!

Series 2 starts tonight. Somehow I'm sure I'll be there, slumped on the sofa, eyes glazed... Even I've given up on Desperate Housewives though.

3:49 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

Oh good, Pash. You're going to have one mystery solved: what's in the hatch. Alas, it just makes things more mystifying. LOTS of new developments this series. Pity we're so far ahead of you, I like speculating about it. Have fun on the couch -- er, watching, I mean.

8:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home