Friday, August 11, 2006

Goodnight nurse

Having bravely seen off first edition this morning, I struggled home and succumbed to a really vicious, muscle-twisting, fever-pitch, axe-in-the-head flu. Why does bad flu make you groan? (Or maybe that's just me.) The day has passed like a kind of nightmare, me lying in bed fully dressed while Sky drifts in and out with all the worst news in a long time. Still, I have improved a bit this evening, and after lying on the La-Z-Boy channel flipping, have dragged myself into the typist's chair to blog aimlessly.

I almost never get ill. This is a once-in-ten-years event. But being a typical kind of bloke, I really need someone to fuss over me and unfortunately there isn't anyone around to do that. I thought of phoning my Pilates instructor Justine because she's so empathetic, but it seemed a bit of a cheek. And she is seven months pregnant. When she kneels on my back to unkink me she feels pretty heavy now.

So here I am, over the groaning now, although it still feels like someone worked me over with a baseball bat. Pathetic, really. The worst part right now is that I don't feel like eating anything. Which is good, objectively. OK, end of moan, reader, I roped you into my misery and I don't even feel bad about it.

I'm going to scan the DVD collection for a suitable movie. Can't figure out what will work. High Fidelity? Mmm. Record fanatic (like me) loses girlfriend ... maybe not. The new James Bond collection released by MGM? Too painful for the old head. Eric Rohmer, here I come.

5 Comments:

Blogger FirstNations said...

poor dave!
take it easy. sounds like you're doing that already, though.
ok, take illicit painkillers.
there.

5:40 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

Thanks FN, just what I was wheedling for ... feeling a bit better today, which probably means back to work Monday, with my time off absorbing my flu period. I hate it when that happens.

6:46 pm  
Blogger hendrix said...

Yes but when that happens what you need to do is to take those sick days at another time so that it all evens out in the end.

Hope you're feeling better now.

1:37 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

Thanks for the wishes -- I'm much better now, and forced to go to work. I never get ill on workdays. Always hols or weekends. Don't you hate it when that happens?

9:10 pm  
Blogger hendrix said...

and doesn't it always happen that way?

Glad you're feeling better now.

10:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home