Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Stupid little aerosols


Victor Meldrew, you're well off out of it. I can hear him now: "Graffiti art? Self-expression? Little swine! They're like dogs widdling against a wall! I'll give them some self-expression. Can you imagine what sort of parents they have? 'Going out dear?' 'Just off to scribble on the neighbours' walls, mum.' 'OK, have fun. Need some money, or will you do a spot of mugging?.' "If I ever catch one of them I'll spray him from head to foot!"

This is my garden wall and door on the lane running past my house. My neighbour, with the yellow wall, kept on doggedly repainting. They patiently came back each time and did him again and on the third occasion did me too. Scribbling blue aerosol paint over the door to my garden was a particularly fine example of the genre. It's a disease round here. The public buildings have cameras and security guards, so residential property gets the ghetto treatment -- from wealthy pimple-faced kids in hoodies and arse-out jeans. I am going to paint my wall and then stay up for a few nights with a videocam trained on the area.

Victor,if wert thou living at this hour!
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

You're looking at this all wrong.
Fight fire with fire. Your wall is a blank canvas - you could spray-paint it with your own tags (as I believe they are called by the youth) so there's no room for the teenage gonks to make their marks.

9:57 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

beam activated security light with sprinkler; fairly cheap at gardening supply websites. the one i see most often looks something like a cartoon crow. they break the security beam and it turns on a jiggering, twirling high velocity sprinkler! we use them to scare deer, raccoons and junkies in the U.S.

6:46 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

FN: Firehose even better, yes? I doubt the local garden supply has them, but will check.

Annie: my wall is not a blank canvas. It is painted white like my beautiful house, in a sunny clime. You may enjoy scribbling on your walls, but I don't.

7:46 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Only joshing - I mean no harm... (we get lots of litter in our garden from the estate youth, if it makes you feel better. And once our upstairs neighbours dropped a machete in our garden.)

7:03 pm  
Blogger DavetheF said...

Sorry Annie, the whole thing caused a humour dropout. "I mean no harm"? Another Withnail fan?

9:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home