Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The green men


You know spring must be on the way when Tatooine sends its strimmer crew to start whizzing off winter's lush coat. The signs are everywhere: the first shark attack of the season; a mass of tiny double-collared sunbirds, like shards of jade, trilling a liquid celebration in the wild cherry tree; the Namaqualand desert flower fields flourishing glorious swatches of colour; the whales on their way. Winter, as is its wont, is at present spitefully swishing its chill tail across the Peninsula as it makes a reluctant departure.

I do love my city at the change of seasons. Its never-failing effort to put on its glad rags shames the cloistered couch legume. What on earth was all that gloom about? I ask myself as I trot off to the beach, hoping to sight the first southern right behemoth breaching in the cove.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what upsets me about reading Antipodean blogs. Just when nights are threatening to draw in here...

In short: I'm jealous.

11:33 pm  
Blogger hendrix said...

me too. Another long cold winter in the frozen north. I can't wait.

11:54 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

i never thought of you as being in any way 'beanlike'.

all my illusions have been shattered.

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home